Re: exchanging OWL through RIF

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:29:39 -0500
Cc: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>

On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Michael Kifer wrote:

>>> Now, the charter talks about FOL rule languages and there will be a
>>> need to
>>> devise a RIF encoding for something like SWRL. But I doubt that it
>>> will
>>> look like a translation into FOL (one that extends the usual
>>> translation
>>> from DL to FOL).
>>
>> Prolly not.
>>
>> Bottom line is that there *are* (a few, experimental) systems that
>> have
>> proceeded via a translation of OWL DL to FOL, with surprisingly good
>> results.
>> (KAON2 also works this way, since it hits disjunctive datalog via the
>> FOL
>> translation...however, that's far far far from a transliterate and go
>> approach.)
>
> It is one thing to translate in order to implement and another in
> order to
> exchange.

Really? Ok.

(Though, direct translitertions aren't that hard to deal with. They do
lose some handy structure, but you can recover a fair bit.)

> For the latter, translating into FOL would be useless, I believe.

I certainly don't see the appeal. Though, with something like Hoolet,
they *are* using an interchange format (TPTP) to communicate with the
FOL reasoners.

Cheers,
Bijan.