Re: exchanging OWL through RIF

From: Francois Bry <bry@ifi.lmu.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:24:24 +0100
CC: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Dear All,

Obviously, the following usages can be expected, because some need them:

1. translating OWL formulas/specifications in a RIF.
2. querying OWL ontologies in (the antecedent of) a RIF rule - what was
refered to as "theory reasoning" two days ago.
3. using RIDF rules for extending/complementing OWL specifications.

In my opinion, we should try to keep all these usages possible. 1 and 2
seem to me much easier than 3 and therefore preferable as Phase 1 goals.
(My understanding of Uli's mail is that she would favour 3 for Phase 1).
Making 1 possible seems to me to be essential, because otherwise, as Ed
(Barkmeyer) pointed out, the providers of rule software would not get
the help from a RIF theyt need coping with OWL.

Regards,

François