Re: exchanging OWL through RIF

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:04:34 +0000
To: "Vincent, Paul D" <PaulVincent@fairisaac.com>
CC: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Vincent, Paul D wrote:

> I may be a little off base here, but: design-time model interchange from say OWL to a (production) rules engine, where the (vocabulary) "rules" would map to the object (/data) model the rules engine works with, could in theory be covered by the ODM --> class diagram + PRR mapping using MDA.

The OWL model is not an object model. Yes ODM would enable to encode a
representation of an OWL ontology in the same format as you could encode a
UML object model but I don't believe it will handle any of the semantic
mismatches for you.

[That way of explaining the requirement sounds rather different from the
way Michael described it, so I'm even less sure I understand what is being
talked about now. Sorry.]

Dave