Re: [RIF] A Modest Proposal: Work Out Some Concrete Examples; Example-1: CHANGE-BABY-IF-WET rule

> Hi Michael, Thanks for your response. For now I just want to respond to
> your statement that first-order logic is ill-suited to analyze the
> meaning of production rules. I want to stress that first-order logic,
> in this instance, is just a vehicle for expressing an analysis.   The
> analysis could be done in natural language, but I find using logical
> notation to be helpful in expressing things and also as a step towards
> a more formal analysis.

Hi Allen,
Yes, I understand what you are trying to do.
What I meant was that you are not really using first-order logic, but
first-order logic interspersed with English. That may still be formal, but
not a logic.

Of course, there were arguments here that the semantics doesn't need to be
model-theoretic and be based on a logic. So, the above is just my personal
point of view.

> Let me restate what it is that I think needs to done, and let me do
> that by means of another example.
>
> Let's consider the necessity operator in modal logic, let us denote it
> "N".   "Np" (p is necessarily true) means, according to a kripkean
> semantics that p is true on all possible worlds.  To be clear about
> what that means, we can quantify over possible worlds and explicate the
> meaning of Np as
> 	(forall x)(PW(x) -> T(p,x))
>
> i.e., if x is a Possible World [Pw(x)] then p is True in x T(p,x].
>
> We should, of course, go on to provide first-order axioms that express
> our interpretation of PW(x) etc.
>
> Clearly if I want to use modal operators in practice, some form of
> modal logic is a cleaner way to do that.
>
> BUT, if I want to EXPLAIN to someone what these operators MEAN then I
> need to tell them the story about possible worlds and truth in a
> possible world, etc.  The full story would involve explicating
> kripke-structures and accessibility relations and so on.
>
> My feeling is that if one wanted to express the semantics of
> modal-logic in a formal fashion, then using first-order logic is a good
> way to do that.
>
> In the same way, if I want to explain to someone what a production
> system is, then I need to tell them the story about Working Memory,
> facts being in working memory, facts being added or deleted from
> working memory, etc.  That is what my analysis was trying to do and
> that is what I think the RIF should enable.    My feeling is that using
> first-order logic is a good way to express those semantics.

In some cases -- yes. But even when a new logic can be encoded
in first-order logic, the encoding is not always useful and a direct
semantics is much preferred. That is, encoding in first-order is not always
a good way to express semantics.

In particular, I think that the semantics of production systems should be
defined at a level higher than the working memory business. This seems too
close to an implementation.

> I don't know much about the particulars of Flora-2 or transaction
> logic, but it sounds to me that the semantics of that logic could
> equally be explicated in first-order logic.  In other words, to
> understand the meaning of the Flora-2 version of change-baby-if-wet
> requires quantifying over states and probably actions.  The semantics
> of states and actions needs to be explicated.

In this particular case, I don't think an encoding in standard first-order
logic is possible. At least, I don't know how.

> Using first-order logic to do these sorts of analyses is good because
> it forces one to say exactly what types of things one is postulating as
> basic entitles and so forth.

As you may have guessed from the above, I agree only partially, but
disagree in general.

	--michael