Re: RIF and QL

Enrico Franconi wrote:

>However, there may be several kinds of these 'connections': most of
>them are based on a model-theoretic characterisation rather than on
>entailment

Entailment is defined in logic in model theoretic terms: F |= G (formula
F entails formula G) iff all models of F are models of G. Refering to
this model theoretic definition, proof methds for entilment are defined.

>Let us restrict attention to the RDF and OWL ontology/knowledge-
>representation languages (we have at least to consider those two, as
>per our charter). In order to super-simplify our life, let us in
>addition restrict our attention to the case when those queries are
>atomic: atomic binary predicates (a triple for RDF, a role for OWL)
>and atomic unary predicates (a class in OWL).
>
>By adopting the 'trivial' semantics above, it is impossible to
>correctly capture correctly, for example, the function-free horn
>clause fragment of SWRL (which is, if you think a little about it, a
>special case of the above but with FOL semantics);

I do not understand why. Enrico, could you plewase give a clue to
saimple-minded readers like me?

Regards,
--

Francois