Re: [SWC] bNode modelling: was Re: RDF and OWL compatibility

From: Francois Bry <bry@ifi.lmu.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:34:18 +0100
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

Dave (Reynolds) has asked:

>So apart from the skolem function itself, the other thing you are doing
>is only introducing the skolem function when there isn't a known
>address. I can see why you would do that. However, in terms of obtaining
>the "same result as far as the user goals are concerned" then if the
>user is processing RDF is this necessary?

To the best of my understanding, an answer is as follows:

Because not in all cases one obtains the "same result as far as the user goals are concerned".

Indeed, Skolemization might turn a finitely satisfiable theory (ie a specification that is realized by something, eg a database, which is finite) into one that only has infinite models. As a consequence, drawing some conclusion might no longer be possible (in finite time).

Francois (Bry)