Re: RDF and OWL compatibility

Christopher Welty wrote:
> public-rif-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 01/04/2006 02:35:50 PM:
>
>>Jos de Bruijn wrote:

> over RDF

> higher-order

> mapping

>>>I'm not sure whether support for quantification over RDF properties is
>>>required, but I can imagine it could be.
>>
>>The query <s,?p,o> was only one example where higher order would be
>>needed for the "straightforward" mapping.
>

> Correction: This is not higher order, though it appears so.  I made this
> mistake myself many times.  That many rule systems do not support it is a
> seperate matter (and one we shall strive to address).
>

>>The same problem arises for
>>queries of the form <s,rdf:type,?c> (i.e., asking for all classes
>>of a given instance). If you map triples of the form
>><s,rdf:type,c> to c(s), you again need higher order.
>

> Again, you need to do something, yes.  But it is not a-priori higher
> order.

I guess we need a clarifying entry in our glossary
on higher-orderness and esp. the differences between syntactic and
semantic higher-orderness, the relationship of syntactic h-o
and meta-modeling, etc.

I created the repsective glossary page (still empty!):

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Higher-Orderness

Feel free to fill it with meat :-)

Michael

--
Michael Sintek -- DFKI GmbH, Kaiserslautern
http://www.michael-sintek.de -- sintek@dfki.uni-kl.de