From: Dave Reynolds [mailto:der@hplb.hpl.hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:32 PM
To: Vincent, Paul D
Cc: RIF
Subject: Re: [UCR] Coverage

The comment in the use case was mine so I recognize the use case is not
clear cut.

However, I have two responses:

First, the use case is constructed so that rule exchange is actually
needed. There are three actors, person with data in ontology O1, person
wanting data in ontology O2 and a third party mediator who does the
transform. These can be distinct actors [*] and it is a requirement that
each actor may want to see and check how the ontology transform is being
done, so the rules need to be at least visible to all (hence a role for RIF
in publishing). In fact it is likely the rules will be created by one of
the provider/consumer actors but executed by the third party mediator,
again requiring rule exchange.

Whilst the use case is couched in terms of IT management services (because
that's the specific area where it came up) it seems reasonable that on the
semantic web there might be such general mediation services, i.e. services
that take data from one or more semantic web sources, munge them and pass
on the results with some value add. Rules would be one way that the
mediators would either explain some of what they are doing to the data or
be a means by which they might accept specifications for new "munging".

Second, this comment:

 > Which pretty much can apply to most rules!

is probably right. So what? Isn't part of the point of rule exchange so
that one person can potentially reuse and learn from another person's rules
if they are doing a similar job?

Last time I drew an analogy with SPARQL so let me pick XSLT this time. XSLT
is used all over the place on the web to make XML flows work. If there are
to be similar RDF data flows we need something like XSLT to help with all
the impedance mismatches. A web rules language seems like a candidate for
that. Whilst not the design centre for RIF it may be something RIF can help
enable. We'll presumably know by the end of the use case process whether
that's a reasonable ambition or not.

Dave

[*] In the application from which the use case is abstracted they are
distinct actors though two of them were different parts of the same company.