Re: [RAF] small comment on discriminator "declarative vs. procedural"

On Friday 10 February 2006 15:58, Vincent, Paul D wrote:
> Well, I am considering the class of rules used in production rule
> engines. The rule actions for these are updates on some object model
> (assertions that represent some value change) or invocations of some
> other processes. In effect, the rule actions are classic programming
> constructs.
>

> if currentAccount's balance is less than 3000 // order independent
>
> then {                                          // order dependent
>
>       set currentAccount's promotion to waiverPromotion,
>
>       print(currentAccount's customerName " qualifies for a waiver on
> opening fee for saving account.").
>
>       execute customerApprovalCheck with { account = currentAccount},
>
>       }
>

> Good books on these classes of rule systems are Business Rules Applied
> and JESS In Action.

wait, wait, of course I know this stuff since I was a student, the point here
is that the charter mentions horn logic for phase one, it doesn't mention
active rules with actions and state change

so whether they have to be immediately dealt with, and if so with what kind of
restrictions and with how much priority is not obvious

we might want to start with something simpler on the side of actions

piero