RE: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited) --> disjunctive conclusions

At 09:20 08.02.2006 -0800, Vincent, Paul D wrote:

>Another way of looking at this / let me infer: the commercial inference
>engines that do not support disjunctive conclusionsprove, by the fact of
>their use in commerce, that this feature is not a requirement for rule
>use, and is therefore not a requirement for rule interchange.
>
>There may be applications and engines that require it - Perhaps someone
>could point out the use cases, hopefully commercial, that require this feature?

I would not go so fare. Maybe some use cases may want it and RIF v 3.0
should cover it.
However, we should start with state of the art in industry rather than
science fiction of
academia or over guidance through fancy features of use cases (carefully
designed by
academics to justify their latest invention).

A big design flaw of RDF was to design it in a way that it needed to cover
all aspects of
a certain use case. We still suffer from this overkill which made it much
more complex in
regard to what is needed and can be handled in most cases.

Dieter Fensel, http://www.deri.org/
Tel.: +43-512-5076485/8
Skype: dieterfensel