Re: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited)

Gerd Wagner wrote:
>>>2. RIF could allow for rules the processing of which goes
>>>beyond what currently is widespread. Eg rules with
>>>disjunctive conclusions.
>

>>[...] We will have enough on our plate to deal with
>>commercial rules engine expressiveness, SWRL, OWL and RDF.
>>If the choice is supporting disjunctive consequents and
>>having a RIF model theory in 6 months that we can all
>>accept, I'll take the latter.
>

> But OWL/SWRL have already introduced disjunctive
> conclusions (which btw are not a problem for the
> model-theoretic semantics, even not when combined
> with NAF; they are only a problem for the inference
> engines), so this is not PhD research!

But it is a problem for inference engines, as you say, and that affects RIF.

If those features are only commonly implemented in research systems then it
is not a priority for RIF to be able to express them.

IMHO RIF should err on the side of least common denominator rather than
greatest common multiple.