RE: [RIF][SWC] ACTION: JosDeBruijn create a wiki page explainingthe issue with bNode semantic [DONE]

Thx Jos: added to discussion below:

Paul Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: Jos de Bruijn [mailto:jos.debruijn@deri.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:18 PM
To: Vincent, Paul D
Cc: public-rif-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: [RIF][SWC] ACTION: JosDeBruijn create a wiki page

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 05:41 -0800, Vincent, Paul D wrote:

> A few qus:

> 1. Wondering why this is an issue: would it be useful to add some
links on the general issues of mapping RDF to/from the more common IT
data models eg XML? [Many commercial rule representations interpret
XML/XST models as "object models" rather than supporting RDF directly].

XML is merely a structured way for representing data, but does not carry

any semantic commitments.

RDF does have some semantic commitment.

Therefore, one cannot map, in general, between RDF and some XML

representation, other than using XML to serialize RDF, as is done, for

example, with RDF/XML.

PV> Is RIF limited ONLY to Semantic Web / RDF applications? Most
operational IT systems are not RDF based. Therefore this is a major
limitation if true. There is no reason (except maybe performance) why
other operational data formats should not be translated via RDF,
presumably, although they will be semantically "lighter". Certainly not
all use cases require complex semantics.

> 2. Presumably the issue of RDF comes up in whether or not RIF will
also handle interchange of data representation mechanisms (eg XML vs
RDF) as well as expression and general rule semantics. [Will I need to
interchange between a rule defined against RDF data with a rule defined
against some XML data?].

The issue with RDF compatibility comes up as soon as you use RDF data in

your rules. RIF is a *Semantic Web* (language/interchange

format/whatever), so we need to be able to cope with RDF data somehow.

I'm not sure how XML data would fit in here. If you use RDF/XML for

representing RDF, you use XML. You might also use some XML

representation to represent ground RIF facts.

PV> Yes, this might be off topic: mapping "operational" data types (like
Java object models, XML data etc) to RIF and/or RDF...

Best, Jos