Re: [TED] Question on constraints

Hassan Aït-Kaci wrote:

> I am not sure I understand exacty what your point is.

That may be because I completely misunderstood what your point was...

Let me try to make my point clearer...

Initially, I understood that the benefit of the CFP formalism was to
isolate the part of a rule's condition that was really constraining the
instantiation of the rule, that is, that specified (or constrained) the
valuation domains for the rule variables (the variables that are free in
both the antecedent and the consequent of the rule). Those constraints,
bearing on the rule variables only, are naturally defined at the same
level where the rule variables are quantified, that is, as a component
of a rule (along with variable quantifications, the antecedent
expression and the consequent expression).

That made sense to me

Now, you seem to say that the benefit is really to abstract the data
model from the rule. I do not completely understand how this trick
works, but, anyway, it seems to me that, in that case, all the arguments
in the antecedent expression and all arguments in the conseuquent are
concerned, rule variables or not. But the constraints that bear on
arguments that are local to the antecedent, resp. the consequent, should
be associated, in the meta-model, with said antecedent, resp.
consequent, not the rule. And , thus, we should have constraints
associated with the rule (for the rule variables), the antecedent, and
the consequent, not only the rule.

Does my question make any more snese, after the explanation?

Christian