Re: [RIFWG] [Requirements?] A vision for the RIF

Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
> Subject: Re: [RIFWG] [Requirements?] A vision for the RIF
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:56:01 -0400
>

> > > From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
> > > Subject: Re: [RIFWG] [Requirements?] A vision for the RIF
> > > Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:28:12 -0400

> [...]
> > >
> > > Why does the meaning of a KB always have to be a set of interpretations?
> > > I meant bottom in the sense of "error", which is not a set of interpretations.
> >
> > I understood "bottom" to mean an "error". I just used your own definition
> > to illustrate that for your example the meaning of both <S,C> and <C,S> is
> > bottom. So, your definition is symmetric with respect to constraints and
> > thus doesn't distinguish them from regular formulas.
>
> Not so.
>
> It is true that if S and C don't entail each other then the meaning of
> <S,C> is the same as the meaning of <C,S>.  However, there are lots of
> Ss and Cs where the meaning of <S,C> is different from the meaning of
> <C,S>.  Consider, for example,
> 	< {p(a),p(b)}, {p(a)} >
> and
> 	< {p(a)}, {p(a),p(b)} >

OK, I concede that your definition is not symmetric with respect to S and
C.  But I don't think that you would argue that the above is also a
suitable definition. In my original message I argued that in practice
people specify constraints that are not entailed by the derivation
rules. So, in the above example one might have the KB {p(a)} and the
constraint would be {p(b)}, not {p(a),p(b)}. (That is, people find it to be
odd to have to also state that p(a) as part of the constraint because it is
implied by the KB.)

Anyway, you agreed that FOL is not the right framework for constraints,
and my intent was to raise awareness of this. It was clear from the many
emails that a number of people didn't quite realize that.