Re: [RIFWG] [Requirements?] A vision for the RIF

Chris Welty <cawelty@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Michael Kifer wrote:

> >> I am not sure I can agree with this. I can very well imaginbe normative
> >> rules not governed by a Closed World Assumption.
> >>

> > Francois,
> >
> > The above must be taken in the context of my earlier message
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2006Mar/0161.html
> > where I *proved* that the rule set for which those normative rules act as
> > constraints must have some sort of closed world assumption (more precisely,
> > cannot use the normal first-order semantics).
> >

> I must say that "proved" is a bit strong here.  You have used in your
> argument a particular definition of constraint that infallibly leads to
> your conclusion.  For those indoctrinated in the logical school (to
> paraphrase your term), a constraint can just be an axiom and
> satisfiability the test.  This is not to say one is right or wrong, just
> that your argument constitutes no proof.

OK, ok. Of course, I made some assumptions. But to substantiate his claim,
Francois had to provide a similarly rigorous argument, perhaps based on
a different set of assumptions.

Peter provided such an argument based on a different set of assumptions,
although (per my earlier message) I think he didn't succeed in showing that
constraints and regular formulas are somehow different in FOL. In his
example the two sets of formulas are interchangeable.

	--michael