From: Gerd Wagner [mailto:wagnerg@tu-cottbus.de]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:12 AM
To: 'Bijan Parsia'; Vincent, Paul D
Cc: 'RIF WG'
Subject: RE: [UCR] Design constraints: early example goal/csf hierarchy --> PR / PRR

> So it's worth considering affordances toward homoginization
> (instead of being completely bound by quirk support).

I think this is a very important point, in particular
for production rule systems, which, like HTML, because
of a lack of precise semantics, have developed all kinds
of proprietary quirks.

Notice that in the case of HTML, the subsequent clean-up
through the XHTML standard has led the browser vendors to
support two processing modes: their old quirks mode and
additionally a standards mode that is XHTML compliant
(they recognize the required mode by checking if the
HTML document conatains a corresponding document type
declaration or not).

I think a similar development is desirable for production
rule systems.

-Gerd