Re: scribing thoughts

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: scribing thoughts
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:22:50 +0000

> 1) a moan and 2) constructive suggestions?
>
> ====
>
> I found scribing yesterday's meeting the hardest telecon I have ever
> scribed for.

[...]

> It also meant that administrivia was harder (e.g. roll call, having some
> confidence that the roll call in the minutes is correct, given people's
> comings and goings).

I suggest replacing the voice roll call with an electronic roll call, in the
same fashion as (but, hopefully, better than) the new regrets mechanism.  This
would have the happy advantage of leaving more time for real work.

To go long with this I suggest starting *on time*, not five to ten minutes
after the nominal start time.

I also found the interjections to ask "Who has joined?" to be quite intrusive.

> I wonder if the sound quality ends up as worse ... although most people
> were muted most of the time. I sometimes found it difficult to hear.

There were quite a number of people who did not have good telcon etiquette,
including whoever has the very loud typing.  I would much prefer that everyone
muted themselves except when they want to talk.  I would also prefer that the
penalty for background noise (including the typing, the visitors, the ...) be
dropping from the telecon.  I think that this would be a good stick to
encourage better etiquette.

[...]

> ====

[...]

> - don't overrun, unless we really, really have to. It is possible to end
> a meeting half way through an agenda.

I am against this, as the WG has a compressed schedule and this will only serve
to slow things down.  Instead, better time control from both the chairs and the
participants is called for.

[...]

> - do not use any nicknames on IRC but full names (both Zakim IDs and
> IRC, e.g. JeremyCarroll not jeremy or jjc)

I prefer using my usual nickname.  The problem with full names is that it makes
the IRC harder to read.

[...]

> ====
>
> Jeremy