Re: RIF vs Rule Language

On Dec 9, 2005, at 2:24 AM, Enrico Franconi wrote:

>>> Do you mean that, for such a case, we should provide 2 different
>>> syntactic constructs to make this difference explicit? For example
>>> "implies1" for horn rules without contraposition and "implies2" for
>>> horn rules with contraposition?
>>
>> Or you could have a flag for the whole document which one could
>> override at one's own risk.
>
> Well, if it is "at one's own risk", then anything can be overridden :-)

Well, there are risks that one might reasonably encourage and ones
you'd like to strongly discourage.

> Anyway, the option to override assumes that we have the possibility of
> distinguishing the operators and their semantics upfront; we may then
> decide to ignore such distinction at our own risk.

Of course.

My thought was more that if I have a collection of function free horn
clauses, I might reasonably decide on some occasion to evaluate them
under minimal model semantics and other times not. It's not a big deal
to have a different operator (since I can always find and
replace/transform). Having different operators locally spelt
differently facilitates (a certain way of ) mixing rules in the same
document which may or may not be a good idea.

Cheers,
Bijan.