Re: XML Serialization Framework: xml:lang and xml:base

From: Christian De Sainte Marie <csma@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:24:24 +0100
To: krekeler@ontoprise.de
Cc: public-rif-comments@w3.org
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback. See our answers in-lined.

Thomas Krekeler wrote 2 November 2009:
 > = 'type' attribute for 'Const' =
 > The list in [1] contains
 > - Const     (individual, function, or predicate symbol, with optional
 > attribute)
 > On the other hand the XSD schema ([2]) explicitly defines the 'type'
 > attribute to be required.

You are right, the type information is mandatory for RIF constants. We
have corrected that. Thank you for spotting the mistake.
 > = Locator in an Import Directive =
 > The XSD schema ([2]) element 'location' refers to 'LOCATOR' which
contains a
 > 'Const' element.
 > Maybe the XSD schema is out dated since [3] says that a locator is not
 > (rif:iri) constant?
The XSD is outdated: the LOCATOR is a literal of type xs:anyURI. This has
been corrected in Core, BLD and FLD.

 > = xml:lang =
 > The definition of the 'Const' element in [2] refers to the 'xml:lang'
 > attribute.
 > Is this attribute for the reader's information only, or does it affect
 > back transformation from XML syntax to presentation syntax?
 > If so, which of the following XML fragments are valid and what are
 > back transformations?
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc</Const>
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc@</Const>
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc@de</Const>

No, the xml:lang attribute is not only for the reader's information, it
does affect the back transformation fro mXML to PS. As a consequence, the
three RIF constants in your example would read as follows in the PS:

 > = xml:base =
 > The xml:base specification ([4]) does not define on which URIs
contained in
 > an XML document the resolving mechanism against their base URIs
 > What about
 > * the 'type' attribute of 'Const',
 > * the content of the 'location' element,
 > * the content of the 'Const' element if its type is xsd:anyURI or
Relative IRIs are allowed in RIF XML syntax, anywhere IRIs are allowed,
including constant types, symbol spaces, location, and profile. The
attribute xml:base is used to make them absolute. An section has been
added in the RIF-PRD specification to make that explicit. The "base"
directive in RIF-BLD presentation syntax is mapped to the xml:base
attribute in the XML Document tag (see section 4.3.2 - mapping of the rule

 > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#XML_for_the_RIF-FLD_Language
 > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#Baseline_Schema_Module
 > [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#Well-formed_Terms_and_Formulas
 > [4] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/
Please acknowledge receipt of this email to <
mailto:public-rif-comments@w3.org> (replying to this email should
suffice). In your acknowledgment please let us know whether or not you are
satisfied with the working group's response to your comment.

Christian de Sainte Marie

9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 611.451.766,20 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644