Re: Jim Melton: XML Query WG review of RIF Datatypes and Built-Ins 1.0

From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:14:39 -0600
To: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Cc: Jim Melton <jim.melton@oracle.com>,Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, "public-rif-comments@w3.org" <public-rif-comments@w3.org>, "w3c-xsl-query@w3.org" <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>

Many thanks for the confirmation.  I am, indeed, satisfied (although
it might be helpful if the text of the spec came right out and said
this so other readers with the same mental challenges that I have
won't be similarly confused ;^)

Thanks again!

At 10/3/2009 09:51 PM, Chris Welty wrote:

>"hello"^^xs:integer is not in the value space of any datatype, thus
>is-literal-string would return false and is-literal-not-string would
>also return false.  So you are satisfied.
>There actually is no isLiteral function defined in our spec
>(although it can be approximated by this combination above), I was
>just hoping the idea of it would help explain what we're talking about.
>Jim Melton wrote:
>>As you will see in my response to Sandro, my real concern is
>>illustrated by "values" such as "hello"^^xs:integer.  If both the
>>is-string and is-literal-not-string functions either return false
>>or report a parse/syntax/something error, then I'm satisfied.
>>I don't recall right offhand what your isLiteral() function returns
>>in cases such as "hello"^^xs:integer", so I can't quickly answer
>>"great" or "doesn't help".
>>    Jim
>>At 10/1/2009 06:10 PM, Chris Welty wrote:
>>>Regarding the naming, does this help:
>>>is-literal-not-string (x) is defined to be
>>>isLiteral(x) && !isString(x)
>>>Honestly I can't think of a more informative name for it.
>>>-Chris (sent from my iPhone)
>Dr. Christopher A. Welty                    IBM Watson Research Center
>+1.914.784.7055                             19 Skyline Dr.
>cawelty@gmail.com                           Hawthorne, NY 10532

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Chair, W3C XML Query WG; XQX (etc.) editor       Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =