RIF RDF and OWL Compatibility and OWL Semantics

From: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:58:56 +0000
To: public-rif-comments@w3.org
Dear RIF WG,

The current SWC document uses the terms 'OWL Full Semantics' and 'OWL
DL Semantics'. However, the OWL Working Group, in the recently
published OWL 2 Recommendation, has tried to clarify these notions by
separating syntax and semantics. In OWL 2, it is made clear that OWL 2
DL is a syntactic restriction and not, per se, a definition of a
particular semantics. For semantics, we refer to the 'OWL 2 Direct
Semantics' and 'OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics', either of which could be
applied to an OWL 2 DL ontology.

We realise that this may come a bit too late in the process (and the
OWL WG also acknowledges the issue of accepted terminology, see the
thread at[1]). However, we wonder whether the RIF WG would still
consider updating the RDF and OWL Compatibility document to reflect
the terminology used in OWL 2 -- we believe that there would be a
benefit to RIF in terms of increased clarity and consistency with the
latest version of OWL.

Note that the current discussion on the Semantic Web Coordination Group
[2] that will provide generic URI-s for entailment regimes (and which
may be an alternative to the URI-s listed in 5.1.1. of the document)
will probably reflect the updated terminology.

Sincerely

On behalf of the OWL Working Group

Ian Horrocks, Chair

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-overview/