Re: rif:local value space in Herbrand interpretations

From: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:35:39 -0500
To: Thomas Krekeler <krekeler@ontoprise.de>
CC: public-rif-comments@w3.org

Thomas,

It sounds as if you are implementing BLD - we would be interested in hearing
details of your experience.

Thomas Krekeler wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > my question is about the value space of rif:local in Herbrand
 > interpretations.

Note that rif:local is a symbol space in RIF, not a datatype. That means it
doesn't have a particular value space or lexical-to-value mapping defined. Also
note that RIF-BLD is not restricted to Herbrand interpretations.

 > One cannot just us the lexical space as value space since this would
 > completely drop the idea of being local to a document.
 > So, the document id should be a part of the Herbrand interpretation of a
 > rif:local constant.
 >
 > Do you have preferences about how to combine the document id and the lexical
 > part of a rif:local constant to a value?

No, at this time we don't have any preferences as experience with RIF
implementation is limited. Your solution, to use the document id, seems the
natural way to go.

Thanks for the question, RIF WG