Re: Semantics of rule implication in RIF-FLD

From: Christian De Sainte Marie <csma@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:40:48 -0800
To: cd@di.fct.unl.pt
Cc: public-rif-comments@w3.org
Dear Carlos,

Carlos Damasio wrote on 9 September 2009:
> The semantics of the several connectives in FLD-RIF is many-valued,
> with the single exception of the rule implication symbol.
> The rule implication symbol has only two possible values, t and f, the
> top and bottom of the lattice of truth-values.
> For instance, this prevents the definition of fuzzy logic dialects of
> RIF without introducing new implication connectives.
> I suggest that that the rule implication symbol semantics to be
> generalized in the following way:
> Rule implication:
> TValI(head :- body) = t, IFF TValI(head) ?t TValI(body).
> TValI(head :- body) < t   otherwise.
> This has nice theoretical properties, namely the existence of minimal
> model for every definite Horn program.
> This will not affect the notion of model, and would be much more
> general.
Thank you for the suggestion. It has been adopted and the semantics of :-
has been generalized per your suggestion.
> Disclaimer:
> I've tried to browse the mail archives to see if there was any
> discussion about this, and could not find it.
No, there was no prior attempt to generalize :- in the direction that you
> I don't discuss here the issue of equality, since I am not an expert
> on the subject.
The semantics of = is two valued. It is possible to generalize it and make
equality multi-valued, but perhaps this is better done as a separate
predicate (which FLD allows dialects to have). Your and others comments
regarding this issue are welcome.
Please acknowledge receipt of this email to <
mailto:public-rif-comments@w3.org> (replying to this email should
suffice). In your acknowledgment please let us know whether or not you are
satisfied with the working group's response to your comment.

Christian de Sainte Marie

9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 611.451.766,20 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644