Re: The challenge of serving *EVERYONE* (was RE: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users)

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 10:45 -0700, John Foliot wrote:
> Bob Ham wrote:

> > Indeed.  Do you agree that investing in content producers who do not
> > encumber their content with DRM, is a good thing?
>
> Interestingly enough, as a Canadian who previously worked for 15 years in the
> music industry, I have a well thought-through opinion there.

> The Canadian Music industry is alive and well today, and
> has launched the careers of many internationally recognized artists (ranging
> from ... Justin Beiber

You bastards! :-)

> How did the country of Canada foster and nurture a Canadian music industry?
> Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

> And so to your question: I support investing in *local* content producers, as
> it enriches our world, and helps "balance" out the weight of the US media
> juggernaut.

Well, that doesn't really answer my question.  I was asking whether you
think it's a good idea to invest in content producers who do not
encumber their content.  I'm asking about one particular category:
producers who don't encumber.  Your answer is about a different,
possibly overlapping category: local producers.

> However, I also support reasoned and reasonable "restrictions" to
> unfettered actions, in part because I saw how it worked in the real world, and
> the benefits outweighed the costs.

OK, you believe DRM is good.  But do you believe it's good to give money
to people who produce unencumbered content, rather than give it to
people who produce DRM-encumbered content, all else being equal?

> I would much
> rather see a Canadian video production company stay in business, then to have
> to shut their door because the rampant theft and distribution of their output
> so devalues their creative works that they cannot stay in business.

Copyright infringement is a different concept to theft.  (Unless you're
talking about theft of DVDs discs or something?)

> For all the anti-DRM rhetoric in the world you can surface, if you cannot
> protect the creators of entertainment content, and their output, you will
> continue to fail in your cause.

What do you believe "our" cause is exactly?

--
Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }