RE: The challenge of serving *EVERYONE* (was RE: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users)

On 2014-05-16 15:17, John Foliot wrote:
> Bob Ham wrote:

>> > Brazilian television broadcasters, seeking to purchase
>> entertainment
>> > content from outside of the country, may find that no-one is
>> willing
>> > to sell them that content
>>
>> Which would mean they would have to invest their money in producers
>> of
>> unencumbered content, in creative people who are more interested in
>> producing content worthy of being shared than they are in preventing
>> sharing.  This is a good thing, right?
>
> Once again, that depends on your perspective.

Indeed.  Do you agree that investing in content producers who do not
encumber their content with DRM, is a good thing?

>> > I am hard
>> > pressed to imagine that the Brazilian people and government would
>> be
>> > interested in presenting themselves on the world stage as thieves
>> and
>> > outlaws
>>
>> Equating the banning of DRM with thievery and criminality is a real
>> stretch.
>
> That is not what I said, but it is typical of the kinds of responses
> I often
> get. What I said was that most rational proponents of premium media
> and
> content protection on the web understand that if you try to ban the
> *majority*
> of users from accessing the content legally, that some (many?) will
> pursue
> illegal means.

I can't see anywhere in your original email where you said that.  I can
see you talking about Brazilians ignoring Brazilian law and being seen
as thieves and outlaws.

--
Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }