Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On May 16, 2014, at 12:58 , Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 16/05/14 11:00, cobaco wrote:
>> really? I keep hearing even those championing DRM-supporting actions say/write
>> things like 'nobody likes DRM, but ...'.  (heck, you're doing it in the mail
>> I'm replying to)
>
> "Nobody likes DRM" - but many, many people want to view Hollywood
> movies, and are willing to put up with DRM to get them.

Actually it’s broader than that:
* for content owners, DRM adds significantly to the costs and complexity of operation; but they perceive the alternative to be widespread copying and lost revenue
* for distribution partners, DRM adds significantly to the costs and complexity of operation; but the alternative is to be unable to carry and offer a lot of content
* for end-user system makers, DRM adds cost and complexity; but the alternative is to stop their users from being able to view a lot of content
* for end-users, DRM adds restrictions and impediments; but the alternative is not to watch the content at all

About the only people who maybe *like* DRM are small ones that specialize in key-exchange and code obfuscation. Otherwise, it’s the least bad choice they can see.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.