Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On May 16, 2014, at 12:13 , Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net> wrote:

> On 2014-05-16 10:06, David Singer wrote:
>> On May 16, 2014, at 12:00 , cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:
>
>>> Mozilla doesn't "have to", Mozilla is "choosing to"
>>> That's a crucial difference and not one you get to sweep under the rug
>>
>> Their assessment is that it is necessary if outcomes they do not want
>> are to be avoided. That’s a requirement, “have to”.
>
> You use the word "want" and then use the word "requirement".  What you're saying here is: Mozilla is choosing to require the implementation of EME.  It's still a choice.
>
> Twisting words won't give you the high ground.  In fact, the lack of high ground becomes more evident as you do so.

That applies to you as well.

I agree, staying relevant is technically a choice, like eating to stay alive is technically a choice.  They could choose to become increasingly irrelevant to the vast majority of users who want to be able to consume protected media.  Their assessment is that becoming irrelevant serves no-one (not even you).

You are welcome to disagree and launch an ideologically pure browser.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.