Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 15/05/14 14:09, cobaco wrote:
> we've been over the answer time and again on this list...
>
> There's a major difference between:
> - supporting a legacy api that has been abused to provide drm and that's on
> the way out anyway, and
> - supporting a brand new api that is going to be used for nothing but DRM

There's even a question in our soon-I-hope-to-be-published Technical FAQ
entitled "Why doesn't Mozilla let DRM die with NPAPI plugins?". :-)

The answer, of course, is that our competitors aren't, and that we are
at an increasing competitive disadvantage. Firefox with just a handful
of users, which is where that road ends, means the open web loses
entirely (not just one battle).

Gerv