RE: A method to detect video copying based on content

Catherine Roy wrote:

> "A method to detect video copying based on content. The method
> comprises providing a set of reference data elements derived from a set
> of reference video frames in a reference video stream; providing a set
> of query data elements derived from a set of query video frames in a
> query video stream, each of the query data elements having a
> corresponding query data element identifier; associating with each of
> the reference data elements a fingerprint selected from among the query
> data element identifiers; and determining a similarity measure for the
> query video stream relative to the reference video stream by a
> comparison of the query data element identifiers to the fingerprints."

I had to re-read that a couple of times for it to sink in, but it does sound
interesting. It also serves to illustrate that alternative ways of providing
copy protection can surface, that don't require the traditional DRM methods of
the past, that might still meet the requirements of the content owners -
maybe. I wish the research company luck and success.

Of course some will still complain that this is emerging as a patented
technology (http://www.google.com/patents/US8671109) and not FOSS, and so of
course some will dismiss this too.
(I have however given up on trying to change their particular brand of
religion)

Cheers!

JF