RE: Apple announces "native support for Netflix" in Safari

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Probably of interest to this group:
> https://www.apple.com/osx/preview/apps/
>
> (Look for the heading "Support for the latest web standards")

Could it be that perhaps Apple knows their customer base better than many
might want to admit? That failing to provide "Native Netflix support" would be
a show-stopper for Safari? With a 4th place market share of roughly 10%, they
really had no choice (and besides, Apple is probably the least likely
candidate for Poster-child for Open Source / Open Technology, as I think most
observers today are "Swift" to realize...)

I'm not really sure why you find this "of interest". If anything, one of the
lessons learned from the WHAT WG is that a "web standard" is anything that all
the implementers agree on and implement in a standard, interoperable way, with
or without W3C (or WHAT WG for that matter) intervention.

Question: Now that all of the major browsers are supporting "Native Netflix
support" (aka EME), I wonder if the WHAT WG "Living Standard" is prepared to
accept that EME is here? (and for all the complainers, that this was going to
happen, with or without the W3C, or the WHAT WG?)

JF