Re: W3C HTML Fork without Digital Restriction Management

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Markus Demmel <az@zankapfel.org> wrote:

>  On 15.01.2014 18:41, Mark Watson wrote:
>
>  Since EME is proposed to be a separate "Extension specification", isn't
> what you are looking for just the existing HTML5 and HTML5.1 specifications
> ?
>
>  ...Mark
>
> i was thinking more in a "bottom-up"-approch, meaning that it should be
> transparent to the viewer of a webpage if there is a risk of running closed
> source-code binaries.

I would expect that, where that concern exists, there would need to be a
more granular approach.

We have text in the security and privacy sections of the document for this,
and suggestions for improvement are welcome. If a browser offers users
security or privacy promises that are based - at least in part - on the
open source nature of the browser code, then I would expect such a browser
to either refuse to execute unknown code or at least provide granular and
timely user control over that. For example, the user could be asked or at
least informed on a per-origin basis that the origin wishes to make use of
the proprietary code. The browser could at this point provide information
about what is or is not known about this code. For example, if nothing is
known, or if specific information about the use of identifiers is known etc.

As a service provider, I am going to choose the CDM which results in the
least aggressive approach by the browser implementor. So, there is at least
some mechanism to apply pressure on CDM implementors to provide browsers
implementors which as much information as possible here. The more ope they
are, the less aggressive the browser warnings / controls and the happier
the service provider.

...Mark