Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group

Hi Mark,

On Jan 13, 2014, at 11:07, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> I believe I've explained quite a few times why confining restricted content to native apps / plugins (the solution we have today) is a problem. And it's purely a technological / user experience one, not a political one.
>
> For our specific usecase, today's solution:
> - requires users to go through an install step to access content on the web
> - supports only software decoding, which impacts both video quality (on constrained devices) and battery life
> - is tied to a specific vendor (Microsoft). This is an issue both for the provider and the user - it would also be better if users had a choice of player technologies.
> - that vendor has announced end-of-life for that solution

I accept that what you say is true and is not, in and of itself, some form of evil.

However, why not rely upon a (possibly proprietary) native browser plug-in that would provide access to the GPU for hardware decoding?

Secondly, could you please clarify for the list whether Netflix considers it within its business model to produce a player? Why or why not?

Regards,
Dave
--
http://about.me/david_wood