Re: Watermarking [Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group]

On Jan 10, 2014, at 15:20 , Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:

> Le 11 janv. 2014 à 01:56, David Singer <singer@apple.com> a écrit :
>> 1) Define the system such that all players must detect watermarks and refuse to play unlicensed content.
>
> not acceptable for the users point of view. "Users considered guilty before the crime." Plus with all the issues of making possible for a users to make his/her content survive through times. Imagine if all the vinyl we had accumulated at home became suddenly unplayable because we can't digitize them to listen them on our mp3 player and all future coming formats/technologies after that.

Yes, it has all sorts of problems apart from simply not working.  I mentioned it merely as a logical possibility (and because there was a serious proposal for such a system back in the 90s, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name).

David Singer