Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:

> On 2014-01-10 07:11 Mark Watson wrote:
> > FWIW, EME *can* be fully implemented under a copyleft open source license
> > on platforms that expose the necessary capabilities. That is presently
> only
> > Windows, but nontheless.
>
> we've been over this...
>
> EME is only half the system,
> the other half is an unspecified black box by design
>
> so, no, it can not be fully implemented, half the implementation depends on
> the blessing/help from the CDM-manufacturer, which automatically means
> anything non-mainstream can forget about it

Please re-read what I said more carefully. When the CDM component is
included in the platform and available through public APIs, then a complete
working implementation of client-side content protection using EME can be
supported in a FOSS browser. I believe this is the case (or soon will be)
for Windows.

...Mark