Re: Proposal: Internet Encrypted Media Extensions

Hi Fred,

I think I understand the proposal a little better now.

As I mentioned, the Presentation API offers the possibility for a web page
to direct playback of content to another device. Does that API meet your
requirements for the "separate device" case ?

For the case of a separate player application on the same computer as the
web browser, I would like to understand better the advantages you see in
this ? Is it because the player is running in a separate process ? What is
the advantage of this isolation within a separate application that is
different from the isolation of DRM capabilities into a CDM in the EME
proposal ?

Regarding the idea of a set of media players conforming to a common
standard and protocols that would all be able to play all protected
content, I think this is unrealistic. Service providers will want to
maintain their ability to innovate around the player for their service. It
would be a bit like asking Google+ and Facebook to agree to use a common
set of social networking protocols for client <-> server interaction.

...Mark