Re: Watermarking Re: Dear EFF: Please don't pick the wrong fight

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Andreas Kuckartz <a.kuckartz@ping.de>wrote:

> Mark Watson:
> > In practice, individual watermarking would probably be implemented on the
> > client side, so it would still require proprietary non-modifiable
> software
> > on users' computers.
>
> Why would watermarking have to be implemented on the client side ?!

It doesn't *have* to be implemented on the client side, but in practice
that approach is more likely (if watermarking were adopted as a solution at
all).

Consider that, presently, it is difficult task to scale video content
distribution on the Internet using pared-down highly-optimized dumb http
servers (as we do). Server-side individual watermarking would require a
fundamental change in physical resources at the network edge to include
vastly more compute power. I think it's likely that a client-side approach
would be much more feasible as a result.

This is based on assuming that economics would drive the technical
solution, not something else.