Re: Dear EFF: Please don't pick the wrong fight

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> writes:

> On the other hand, as Danny O'Brien said, "It's really hard to argue that
> DRM is problematic when people can turn around and say that the W3C and Tim
> Berners-Lee think it's all right.", so I see why those opposed to DRM would
> object to the "in scope" statement as a loss in a broader political
> context. But that's not related to EME specifically and is really an issue
> between opponents of DRM and the W3C management.

It is related to EME specifically. The "content protection in scope"
statement is *not* exclusive to DRM. As Jeff has said, "content
protection" is not synonymous with DRM. Other techniques such as
watermarking, which do not require patented, non-interoperable,
proprietary software on Web users' computers, fall under that category
by their definition as well.

So, yes, we have specific objections to EME, because EME is a member of
this category that is objectionable for reasons that do not apply to all
members of the category.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.