Re: The subject line is irrelevant these days

On 2013-10-23 06:11 Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
> On 10/22/13 9:14 PM, John Sullivan wrote:
> > EME is a step backward, so the better way is simply ending work on
> > it, with explanation that will help guide future proposed
> > recommendations.

> There doesn't seem to be a practical way to get to this result, as is
> painfully obvious. Focusing on working on EME to constrain CDMs and
> other alternatives do seem realistic.
> Can the principled camp in these discussions fall back to practical
> solutions?

in other words 'are we willing to give up our principals for practical gain',
and do so in a situation where the 'gain'  is questionable at best?

speaking for myself: no

less snarkiliy: not passing EME, and stopping DRM work inside W3C *is* IMO the
most practical solution:
it satifies the biggest group of people, the only ones wanting DRM are big
content and their middlemen, and even they admit that 'nobody likes DRM'
--
Cheers