Re: The subject line is irrelevant these days

On 2013-10-22 12:04 David Singer wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2013, at 8:11 , Mhyst <mhysterio@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Helping the copyright holders to control the users isn't included in the
> > W3C goals. And that is exactly what EME is for. EME benefits a little
> > part of the society. All institutions (and the W3C) should pursue the
> > wellbeing of all the society, not just some people.

> I think you are missing all the ways that having for-sale content linked
> into the open web, and using web technologies for their presentation layer,
> benefit everyone.
>
> This discussion resolutely stays stuck, in large part because many people
> cannot see that there is a balance here between competing desires and
> goals.

There's nothing stopping the industry from linking their content into the web
today, there are no technical barriers preventing that
It's the industries own insistence on DRM that stops them.

They insist on a demand that:
a) is opposed by everyone not part of big content or their middlemen proxies
like apple and netflix, i.e. the vast majority of people (comments on say TBL's
latest post, or any other public forum the discussion props up make that
abundandly clear)
b) is disliked even by the drm-proponents who have gone on record multiple
times with phrases like 'nobody likes DRM'
c) is not necessary from a technical point of view, quite the contrary, it
just makes everything more complicated thus violating the KISS principle
d) is actually not completely implementable by 3th parties, thus violating the
W3C design principle 'web on everything'

The fact that the industry demands DRM, i.e. demands their content be in a
walled garden, says volumes about how interested they actually are in being
part of the open web (they can already link to their walled gardens from the
open web today, there's no EME+CDM needed for that)

There is no technical reason for the W3C to cater to that demand.
As a proponent of an open web, there are plenty of reasons not to help with
better integration of those walled gardens, that would just makes those walled
gardens more appealing, which is counterproductive to supporting the open web
--
Cheers