Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

Duncan Bayne wrote:

> The aim here is not to get
> movie companies to abandon DRM, or discover a way of making
> million-dollar movies on a shoestring budget.  Likewise, it's not to
> ensure that movie companies continue making a profit, or that I can
> legally watch Futurama on my Linux laptop.
>
> The aim is to prevent the W3C compromising its values, and harming the
> open web, by accepting DRM.

Fair enough, although others seem to be arguing some of those things.

I think you could argue though that preventing a class of content from
being on the open web is harmful to it. I.e. it reduces the utility of the
open web for a use-case that affects a lot of users.

Walled garden type technologies (plugins / appliances) benefit to the
detriment of the open web.

I can't say that will happen, but I do consider that a strong possibility.

-Alastair