Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

cobaco wrote:

> Industry cooperation is irrelevant, the pirates are in the game also,
> they've
> already put the content on the web and will continue to do so.
>
> Keeping the content off the web is thus not an option the industry actually
> has.

I don't think that's true, at least when you differentiate between the
"web" and the "internet". Where is pirated content *hosted* on the web and
available as play-in-page video? Can you point to an example? (For
your/their legal safety perhaps don't do that on list, but is it possible
to do so?)

I assume you mean things like Pirate Bay, where content (some of which I
assume is pirated movies) is available via torrents. In a future where EME
is not created under the auspices of the W3C, EME-like code and CDMs will
go into some browsers and devices anyway. (As I've said elsewhere, it's
already in Chrome, IE and I assume Chromecast.) It will be on the web
anyway, whether or not it's part of the W3C's specs.

You also seem to be conflating content such as movies (which are DRMed in
iTunes), with music (which is not DRMed in iTunes).

There is a big different in cost per item (therefore potential losses), and
desirability per item (and therefore motivation to acquire/copy). I happen
to agree that a non-DRM approach would be better model overall, but I can
see why they (the studios) don't want to risk it.

-Alastair