Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On 2013/10/10 20:05, David Singer wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2013, at 3:42 , Emmanuel Revah <stsil@manurevah.com> wrote:
>

>> Flash has been around for over a decade, almost every browser had it
>> installed at some point. It was never part of the W3C spec. Same for
>> other plugins.
>
> But the object and embed tags, which enabled it, were.  They stand in
> almost exactly the same place as the EME APIs, except the EME APIs are
> much more circumscribed in what the external plug-in can do (which is
> an advantage).
>
> David Singer

Good point, except that embed is simply a spot to include any
non-HTML/standard elements. It can be Flash or anything else (open or
closed, obfuscated or clear), it's just a way of inserting "anything
non-standard" in a standard way.

EME is like embed, except that it is itself a mechanism to restrict and
control usage of standard HTML elements. It's only purpose is to give
the publisher control over the user's browser. EME exists only for the
DRM.

I'm not sure that's a good thing, but let's say that's more of opinion
territory, the fact part is that EME clearly says DRM is a good for the
"Open Web".

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com