Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > > Obviously.  But it's not the W3Cs job to break the WWW to accommodate
> > > those who aren't willing.
> >
> > well, nor is it the W3C's position to break them -- insist that they go
> > bankrupt -- in order to satisfy some idea of purity, either.
>
> No-one is suggesting that the W3C force anyone to go bankrupt.  All
> we're saying is that it's not the W3Cs job to help prop up their
> business models at the expense of their mission.
>
> There are already DRM 'solutions' based upon Silverlight, Flash and many
> other proprietary plugins and app-store apps.  Those won't go away if
> the W3C refuses to play ball.

True enough. And users who want to watch DRM-protected content, despite
the DRM, will be worse off for it. Users who reject DRM will see no
difference either way.

...Mark