Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Oct 8, 2013, at 16:56 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> ah, because Hawaiians can propel canoes using paddles, they are a viable
>> means of propelling anything, including super-tankers.  Yes,
>> crowd-sourcing can and has worked in some cases, and pre-sales can and
>> have, and so on.  It's a great *addition* to the ways of remunerating
>> creators, but it's not a replacement.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Yes, indeed, and that's great.  But it's not all content creators that
>> can or are willing to go that way.
>
> Obviously.  But it's not the W3Cs job to break the WWW to accommodate
> those who aren't willing.

well, nor is it the W3C's position to break them -- insist that they go bankrupt -- in order to satisfy some idea of purity, either.

David Singer