Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On 2013/10/04 23:13, David Singer wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2013, at 6:10 , Emmanuel Revah <stsil@manurevah.com> wrote:

[...]
>> Are retarded business models that want to be on the web more important
>> than the web's users ? W3C says yes.
>
> It just doesn't help to sling around insults like "retarded".

"Retarded" is an actual word that means something. Please, it's like
you've never heard this word outside of the context of a school
playground.

[..]
>> EME is broken (100% of DRM so far breaks at some point),
>
> The goal is not to prevent all piracy all the time, but to sharply
> reduce it.  In that respect, it succeeds.

I would prefer instead that the goal be a way to include people like me
as clients of such services. By requiring control you alienate most
users who understand what EME requires from its clients.

[..]
>> and mostly (because this goes against clear W3C guidelines), it allows
>> "validated" websites to publish content that is not accessible to all.
>
> That's true today for all sorts of content.  There are still websites
> that only work with IE6, for example.

0% percent of the websites that work only with IE6 are "W3C Valid".

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com