Re: The Web may be the last bastion of software freedom

On 11/18/2013 7:39 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you think we rejected after an uproar from the
>> community.  W3C was the first to reject patent encumbered technology and
>> did it under the direction of Tim Berners-Lee.
> I've retyped this sentence four times now, with each revision becoming
> progressively more polite.  In entirely polite form: your statement is
> true, Jeff, but omits much.
>
> This is how the rest of the world saw the W3Cs actions at the time:

I wasn't there at the time, so maybe you are right that W3C reversed itself.

I can't tell if you are right from the articles you referenced.  The
October 1 article talks about a proposal to W3C but it doesn't say that
this was ever endorsed by W3C.  The February 26 article merely says that
the Oct 1 proposal was rejected.