Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> wrote:

> Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
> > My point was that what is or is not legal in a given
> > country is something that service providers need to watch out for,
> > not something we need to debate here.
>
> Even though W3C is not an intergovernmental organization, it is a body
> that makes global Internet governance decisions.

IIUC, W3C produces technical "Recommendations" which people may follow or
not as they choose.

> Any such decisions that are incompatible with existing national law
> (that doesn't violate internationally recognized human rights), or with
> how national laws could reasonably be changed, are a very serious
> matter. That is not the kind of thing that W3C could legitimately
> decide without consultation of the parliaments of the democratic
> countries of the world.

Well, I'm going to leave it to the W3C team and Director to determine
whether any of those things apply here.