Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM, piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Un-spin welcomed. Actually, we're talking about replacing one such
> system, plugins, with another with better properties. With EME, websites
> will have far less control over users browsers than we do today and the
> nature of the control will be mediated via browser vendors and thus more
> transparent to users.
> >
> Ok, if that's the point, EME is welcome to me, we only ask please move it
> outside W3C, I think there shouldn't be any problem in this point, is it?

Can you explain why you think there will be a better outcome for users if
EME is worked on outside W3C ?

> Oh, and by the way... NO, it will NEVER be welcome by anybody, only big
> corporates. Also, do you know that with the current legislation here at
> Spain EME and DRM are ilegal? Will a service like Netflix or others detect
> that I'm connected from Spain to offer me a DRM-free product, or I will
> have my freedom abused by this topic?

I doubt very much that EME is illegal anywhere. Please read the
specification to see what it actually specifies.

If DRM is illegal in any given country, then obviously services like
Netflix would not be able to use DRM in those countries. I suspect that
would lead to such services not being offered at all in those countries.

> Did you think that anybody can connect to Netflix or other over a proxy on
> Spain, evading EME and access to it without restrictions,

Obviously not if the service is not available at all.

> making it useless one more time?
>
> And also, have anybody take on the point that we are all of us discussing
> only with Mark? Isn't there any more people interested on EME promotion
> here? It seems suspicious to me... or maybe is an evidence that nobody is
> interested on it.

I, personally, feel that everyone deserves a response. Others who feel
similarly have probably noticed that I have been responding - and indeed
some have thanked me privately for taking on the task of providing
reflection on the strength of your arguments.

If you would like evidence of interest you could look to the fact there are
already existing deployed products and I expect there will be more in the
coming months.

...Mark