Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On 2013/05/20 17:49, Mark Watson wrote:
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 20, 2013, at 8:22 AM, Hugo Roy <hugo@fsfe.org> wrote:
>
>> Le lun. 20/05/13, 08:00, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>:
>>> Second, I addressed the idea that this is an affront to ordinary
>>> users
>>> earlier in the thread. Modest security measures are not generally
>>> considered an affront even when they are inconvenient to ordinary
>>> users. Users understand that there are a minority of people who want
>>> to get stuff without paying. Now, you can reasonably argue that the
>>> measures are disproportionate to the threat. There are plenty of
>>> examples where people go too far with security measures, causing too
>>> much inconvenience to those who are not in fact a threat. But it
>>> makes
>>> no sense in such cases to argue that, therefore, there should be no
>>> security measures.
>>
>> This is not about a minority of users who want to get stuff
>> without paying. This is not about security either. This is about
>> who controls what, this is about freedom. Not about the freedom to
>> do whatever you like and get away with it for free; but the
>> freedom of a person to act responsibly and to control their own
>> computing.
>
> And no one is taking that away. Should I not also have the freedom to
> give up a little bit of control of what my computer does with some
> specific data at a specific time and in a specifically constrained way
> if I am offered something in return ? Or would you have it that people
> are forbidden from offering or forbidden from accepting such a deal ?

Nowhere in this whole thread has anyone ever spoken of removing the
user's choice to install non-free software on their computer.

To un-spin; We are talking about the W3's approval of a system that
would allow and encourage websites to control their visitor's browsers.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com