Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Nikos Roussos
<comzeradd@mozilla-community.org> wrote:

> Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

>> that
>>> use
>>>
>>> I am not talking about content distribution but about what
>>> technology web users are using.
>>

>> I know. Actually I think you mean the consumers of the content. My
>> point is
>> that the producers of the content are users of the web as well.
>>

>>> So if you want to distribute
>>> content in a way that discriminates some web users from other web
>>> users, you are clearly outside of the scope of what we refer to as
>>> the “open web”.
>>>
>>> You are wrong when you say that I wish to exclude companies that
>>> use DRM. These companies are entirely welcome to distribute
>>> content on the Web. They are also entirely welcome to distribute
>>> content on the open Web, that is, in a way that do not
>>> discriminate or exclude some users because of technological
>>> consideration (for instance, a website designed solely for IE6 is
>>> not “open”.)
>>
>> If the producers technology choice does not align with the users
>> technology
>> choice, who is "excluding" whom ? Your argument relies on one set of
>> choices having preferential status, that is all.
>
> Those who try to standardize their technology choice are those who discriminate.

Hmm, I hardly think many people would call the W3C's requirements
around Open Source discriminatory.

If it was proposed to require in a standard that all media players be
Free Software, or that all media be protected by DRM, then I would
accept your point.

But neither of these things are proposed. We are talking about a
proposal that simply asks browsers that choose to integrate DRM to do
so in a particular way.

My point about technology choices is independent of any standards.

...Mark